Friday 12 July 2013

Production Log: 12/07/13

In today's lesson, I was watching former students short film from previous years, and it dawned on me that none of them seemed to concentrate much on the lighting of their films; just the camera shots and the editing techniques. This means that my choice of trying to replicate Film Noir may either be a great idea in terms of creating a unique video amongst my peers, or it's too risky to attempt as it is such a specific look that it will either look tacky and amateur, or it'll look very stylized. I am willing to take a risk rather than play it safe as if I can replicate the style well enough than I reckon this film will look very professional.

I am a fan of a film called "Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid" staring Steve Martin, which came out in 1982 but looks as if it came out in the 1940's due to director Carl Reiner's use of old school film techniques, as well as using actual cut away's from real Film Noir films, to create a film that seems so accurate to the style that it is incredibly difficult to distinguish the shots filmed in the 80's to the shots films in the 30's and 40's:

Obviously all of my footage will be original footage, but I want to replicate the style so that my short film actually looks as if it was filmed in the 30's or the 40's. I will research into Film Noir filming, lighting and editing techniques as well as purchasing or borrowing any costumes and props I need to make sure that my film looks as genuine as I can possibly make it on a low budget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment