Thursday 10 October 2013

Production Log: 10/10/13

This week I have completed my visual progression and image systems posts: deciding on which props and costumes I will be using; I shall be using props that are associated with the 1930's-40's such as an old fashioned radio. The costumes will also be of this style, for example the gumshoe will be wearing a stereotypical detective outfit; suspenders, a tie, a fedora etc. I have access to props and costumes as I know people in the theater; as well as assess to experienced actors.

Traditionally in Film Noir, the protagonist will narrate the film and the visuals will act out what it is that he is saying; like in a music video, so when making my short film it was essential for me to have an audio track before I could start on the visuals. So, after my script was complete, I began production on the audio track by working with Craig Cameron-Fisher, the actor who played the protagonist Marshal Mallow, to make sure that the entire narration was perfect for how we wanted it. This took a couple of recordings as there were certain things we both didn’t like with the original; for example some parts he spoke without enough enthusiasm and it meant that the joke wasn’t delivered as well as it could have been. As Craig lives right near Heathrow, this meant that we had to record the audio after midnight when the planes had stopped flying. Then, by using WavePad Sound Editor, I was able to remove any unwanted sounds, such as breathing, coughing, unwanted crackle etc. I then cut up the audio into a few different sections, to distinguish each scene or shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment