Tuesday 13 August 2013

Production Log: 13/8/13

This week I did my storyboard for my short film by reading through the script and visualising in my mind what I want the shots to look like by putting the lights in the right place in relation to the camera and the actor/props that are the main focus of each shot, but making sure that the lighting still looks natural to the scene rather than forced. Doing this has allowed me to think up shots that are either conventionally Film Noir; such as putting lights behind lattice blinds to create effects on the walls, as well as shots that are clearly there for more comical/parody purposes, like having a Cluedo board stuck to the wall with red ribbon going in between the playing cards to resemble a detectives cork board as well as referencing a joke in the script. 

I used Celtx to create my storyboard, which was also used to write my script, as Celtx has a very easy to use storyboard maker that not only makes it easy to make sequences and add shots, with a selection of shot types to choose from, but it also allows for sketches of the shots to be drawn with a drawing tool, so that lines, circles and squares can be made, as well as having stock images of a man and a woman, a camera and different forms of lighting which makes the story board very clear to make out what the images are of, as well as making the story board easy to follow. Here is a frame from my storyboard: 


The black light represents a spot light, and the grey light represents a flood light. I hope to use an actual desk lamp as a form of flood light in my short film as my dad has an old fashioned lamp which would add to the mise-en-scene of the set as well as acting as an unforced form of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment